Thursday 9 June 2011

The Hangover 2

This weekend saw the much awaited trip to see The Hangover 2! So after a couple a drinks in the beer garden, we headed off down to the Vue cinema to settle into our VIP seats and watch the ‘more shocking’ and ‘even funnier’ film (as it was billed).

After taking out a small mortgage to pay for the food (we only had a hotdog and a drink!) we were finally in.
As many of you will know The Hangover is one of my most favourite films, so when I heard they were making a second one I was initially very excited. I soon quashed the excitement and set myself low expectations for the film.  That way the film will at least meet my expectations and best case scenario it will surpass them.  Slightly pessimistic view I know but my theory has worked in the past.

Based on this I did enjoy the film.  It is basically the same format as the first except it is set in Bangkok at Stu's wedding.  Doug is safely stationed at the wedding hotel complex (rather than the roof) while Stu, Phil and Alan, who are joined once again by Mr Chow, have this time managed to lose Stu's fiancees' 16 year old brother, Teddy. Oops.

The film starts with the same 'We f****d up' call from Phil to Tracy and proceeds to rewind to show the guys waking up in a grim Bangkok hotel room. I do love the way they make them all look so rough - they have either all been out and actually got horribly drunk the night before filming or the make-up folks have done a great job!

Phil, again, seems to be the one that ends up in a hospital for some reason or another and Stu's, seemingly, secret liking for strippers goes that one step further!

Alan feels a bit put out by Teddy joining the group - I mean he isn't one of the wolfpack is he! So his plan to drug Teddy so he has to go to bed backfires somewhat.

In this film the baby has been replaced by a drug dealing monkey in a jacket, Mr Chow gets set up and arrested by the feds, they steal a monk instead of a tiger and Mike Tyson returns as a wedding gift from Alan to Stu.



As far as sequels go I did enjoy this one (whether its because my expectations were low I'm not sure) but although not as standout and funny as the first, the format was consistent, they still got up to some 'crazy sh*t' and there were some funny one liners and little touches. Some of my favs:

(In Alan's impromptu post wedding speech) "Nobody knows Stu like me ....this is not his first wedding, he married a whore in Vegas..."

(Who's having the worst day??)
Mr Chow to Phil: "Oh, you are having a bad day. Did you die?”

Stu: You see, I have a demon in me!
Alan: Stu, you mean semen.
Stu: No, I meant demon.
Alan: But you also had semen, remember.

This film will still make you wince, cringe and laugh out loud so I'm going to give it a 3 1/2 drug laced marshmallows out of 5.

The wolfpack is back.....almost

No comments:

Post a Comment