Wednesday 22 June 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 in 3D

My work colleagues and I decided to have a little school trip out the other week to the cinema. It was after work by the way, just in case my employers are reading.

We packed up and headed off the Vue in Shepherds Bush to see the latest installment of the Pirates if the Caribbean franchise - Pirates of the Caribbean 4 – On Stranger Tides. We picked up our 3D glasses and popcorn and settled into our seats.

The 4th film sees a few new faces as well as some of the old ones, but a few of the original main characters don't appear in this one, namely Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly. Keira Knightly I didn't miss at all (its safe to say I'm not here greatest fan) and Penelope Cruz as Angelica Malon, a love interest from Jack’s past, was a welcome addition.  It was nice to see Keith Richards making another brief appearance too.

The film is about a search for the legendary Fountain of Youth and revenge.  Jack is lured aboard Blackbeard’s (Ian McShane) ship; the Queen Anne’s Revenge, by Angelica (Blackbeard’s daughter) and forced to help them navigate to the Fountain of Youth.  Jack’s rival, Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), has team up with King George II under the pretence of beating the Spanish to the Fountain of Youth, but really only wants to get revenge on Blackbeard for stealing the Black Pearl and forcing him to amputate his own leg in order to escape.  Jack and Barbossa work together to deceive Blackbeard.  Blackbeard wants use the Fountains properties to evade his fated death by a one legged man (hmm who do we know with one leg?) and the Spanish want to destroy the Fountain as they believe it is evil in the eyes of God.



The Pirates franchise are all watchable swashbuckling fun, not too taxing on the brain but filled with a bit of action, a bit of adventure and of course a lot of Captain Jack Sparrow (I never really thought pirates were my type but it seems Johnny Depp makes a very attractive one!).

I think Captain Jack is my favourite Johnny Depp character. He plays it with just the right amount of humour and kookiness, without being too weird like his Willy Wonka and Mad Hatter roles or too odd like his Edward Scissorhands character. 

The film is in 3D. I like to think I'm quite up to date on my technology but I still understand why you need to buy a 3D tv if you still have to wear the glasses?? Answers on a postcard/in the comments box. Anyway back to the point, the film is in 3D which makes the visual effects even better. It helps the imagination transport you into those turquoise Caribbean waters or rolling around the ship deck amidst a tropical storm.  There wasn't as much jumping out of the screen action as I'd thought (maybe I'm just remembering the roller coaster and balloons from the Alton Towers 3D cinemas?!?) but I imagine if it was happening all the time, in every scene, it may become too much?

All in all this is an entertaining and easy to watch installment to accompany the previous 3 films. 

I'm going to give this film 4 pieces of gold out of 5.

P.s there is an extra bit after the credits, right at the very end!

2 comments: